Clean Slate

I deleted my LLM chat histories today. Why did I do it? Mainly because LLMs have become like an echo chamber. In order to keep us hooked, they are offering points of view that can make us interact with them for longer. They try to collect more information from us; unfortunately, being emotional beings, we leak our emotions and data easily to these sneaky LLMs. They try to put us inside a box through these conversations.

I have noticed that my thinking has become one-dimensional and I am being driven in a particular direction by the LLMs based on my own chat history. If I try to contradict myself, which is how we learn, the LLMs catch us and reset the path. 

I also started using LLM chat prompts as kind of my personal journal, but there is always someone or something reading that and responding to it. The idea of a journal is for self-reflection, not a third-party reflection. So I thought, let me stay away from them for a while and see how life evolves.

Please remember I didn’t say I am stopping the use of LLMs completely. I just stopped feeding them coherent information about me. the memory option is switched off, but I can still ask them a random question and collect answers that can help me in my understanding. But I won’t be using them as sparring partners to reflect my opinions so that they can build a profile of me to box me.

For example, I would have shared this with them and checked for ways to optimise it; life is not all about optimisation, it’s about living with the flaws and finding those sweet spots once in a while. 

The LLMs are useful in understanding complex concepts, and they also help us get some curated data on random topics of interest. But beyond that, using them as a personal therapist or even a friend is not a great idea. Because their true motto is to keep you engaged. The companies that provide these services have profit in mind, nothing else. How can we believe a tool to do only good for us? If profit is the goal.

This is very basic, but at times, when we are deep into the tech, we might forget the basics. I have lost touch with this basic truth, but realized it now. That’s why the chat history and persoanl memory was purged from the LLM engines.






Popular posts from this blog

AI, Physics, and the Myth of Limitless Intelligence

How AI leverages our confirmation bias?

Morality, Power, and Choice: A Systems View